Around the Mtn: Broncos keep on buckin’
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo., -- And you thought Boise State was finished.
The Broncos waltzed into LaVell Edwards Stadium last Saturday and handed No. 10 BYU a 26-17 loss all but eliminating any hope the Cougars had of reaching a New Year's Six Bowl.
Can't ever count those guys out, huh?
Here's this week's Mountain West Conference news and notes:
* In 2021, the Mountain West has five victories over autonomous-5 opponents, the most of any non-autonomous-5 conference. Including all 10 FBS conferences, the MW is tied for the third-most A5 victories with the ACC, and trails only the Big Ten and SEC.
* This season, the Mountain West has a pair of nonconference victories over nationally-ranked opponents, including Fresno State’s win over then-No. 13/13 UCLA and Boise State’s defeat over then-No. 10/10 BYU. The MW is tied for third nationally with two victories against top-25 nonconference opponents, trailing only the Big Ten and SEC (3).
* The Mountain West is one of just two FBS conferences with at least two victories against top-15 opponents (SEC - 3).
* The league has a .500 record against opponents from the Pac-12 in 2021.
* In nonconference play, the Mountain West has compiled a 28-18 (.609) record, the fifth-best win percentage nationally and best among the non-autonomous-5 conferences.
* San Diego State (5-0) is ranked No. 24 in both the Associated Press Top 25 and the AFCA Coaches Poll. With Fresno State earning a top-25 ranking earlier this season, 2021 is the sixth-consecutive season at least two Mountain West programs have been nationally ranked.
* San Diego State has opened the 2021 season with a 5-0 record, which includes a pair of victories over autonomous-5 opponents (Arizona and Utah). The Aztecs are the only non-autonomous-5 team with multiples wins over autonomous-5 opponents this season.
* The Aztecs are one of just 13 undefeated FBS programs nationally.
* Air Force is 5-1 for the first time since 2010 and has the nation’s top rushing attack, averaging 341.3 yards per game.
* Dating back to the 2019 season, the Mountain West has won 16 games against autonomous-5 opponents, including 14 against the Pac-12.
* In the past 17 years, the Mountain West has been the top nonautonomous 5 conference nine times and second five times.
* The Mountain West has been nationally-ranked in 21 of the last 28 College Football Playoff Rankings.
* The Mountain West produced the first non-automatic-qualifying FBS team into a BCS bowl game (Utah - 2005 Fiesta Bowl) and into the College Football Playoff (Boise State - 2014 Fiesta Bowl).