Cowboy Golfers Head to Albuquerque for Tucker Intercollegiate
* University of Wyoming press release
LARAMIE -- Coming off a very successful tournament at the Ram Masters Invitational this past Monday and Tuesday, the Wyoming Cowboy golf team will be back in action on Friday and Saturday at the William H. Tucker Intercollegiate in Albuquerque, N.M.
The tournament is being hosted by the University of New Mexico on the UNM Championship Course.
A field of 19 teams will be competing in this year’s Tucker Intercollegiate. The format for the tournament will be 36 holes on Friday, Sept. 23 and a final 18-hole round on Saturday, Sept. 24.
Following is more information on the tournament.
2022 William H. Tucker Intercollegiate Information
• The 19 teams in this year’s field are: host New Mexico, BYU, Colorado, Denver, Hawai’I, Loyola Marymount, Nebraska, New Mexico State, North Texas, Northern Illinois, San Francisco, San Diego, San Diego State, TCU, UNLV, Utah Tech, UTEP, UTSA and Wyoming. Also individuals from Texas.
• Live scoring will be available on GolfStat.com at: https://results.golfstat.com//
• UNM Championship Course, Par 72, 7,546 yards
• 36 holes on Friday, Sept. 23
• 18 holes on Saturday, Sept. 24
• Friday: Shotgun start beginning at 7:30 a.m. (M.T.)
• Saturday: Shotgun start beginning at 7:30 a.m. (M.T.)
Patrick Azevedo Finishes Second and Jaren Calkins Fifth at the Ram Masters Invitational, Wyoming Places Fourth as a Team
It was a fantastic finish for the Wyoming Cowboy golf team in the final round of the Ram Masters Invitational in Fort Collins, Colo.
Sophomore Patrick Azevedo fired a 65 (-5) to move up from 13th place entering the final round to tie for second place out of 84 collegiate golfers competing in the tournament. Another Cowboy sophomore, Jaren Calkins, entered the final round in first place and shot a round of 73 (+3) on Tuesday to tie for fifth. Azevedo and Calkins helped lead the Cowboy team to a fourth-place finish in the 15-team field.
Azevedo’s final round score of 65 (-5) was the third lowest round of the tournament. His final round included seven birdies, nine pars and two bogeys. He concluded the tournament with a 54-hole total of 205 (-5) to tie for second with Davis Bryant of Colorado State and Howard Yoon of Cal State Fullerton.
Individual tournament champion Brady McKinlay of Utah Valley fired a 64 (-6) on Tuesday and ended the tournament with a three-round total of 201 (-9) to win by four shots. Calkins completed the tournament with a total score of 206 (-4), just one shot back of Azevedo, to tie with four other individuals for fifth place.
Wyoming had two other sophomores -- playing as individuals -- who also placed in the Top 20. Kristof Panke tied for 11th with a tournament score of 209 (-1), and Cade McLaughlin shot a 211 (+1) to tie for 19th. Cowboy senior Tyler Severin shot a 216 (+6) to tie for 34th.