Cowgirls blank MSU Denver to open 2022 home slate
* University of Wyoming Athletics media relations release
LARAMIE -- The Wyoming Cowgirl tennis team opened up its 2022 home slate by blanking MSU Denver 7-0 Sunday afternoon. It is Wyoming’s sixth-straight home victory dating back to last season.
Doubles play was close as it could be for the Cowgirls (5-6) as they split the first two matches during doubles play before securing the point after MSU Denver (1-3) was forced to retire in the No. 3 doubles match while all tied at 6-6.
The tandem of Ida Krause and Maria Oreshkina picked up a win at No. 1, winning 6-3. Serina Abriola and Mihaela Kaftanova earned the win at the third spot as UW escaped to take the doubles’ point.
On the singles side of things, UW played much better, picking up five straight-set victories. Lucia Malinak began with a quick 6-2, 6-1 win at the No. 4 spot to put the Cowgirls out front 2-0 in the match. That was followed by wins at No. 1 and No. 2 by Sophie Zehender and Oreshkina, respectively. Zehender also took care of business 6-2 and 6-1 while Oreshkina was victorious 6-3, 6-1.
At No. 3 singles, Ana Fernandez was able to come out on top in the third-set tiebreaker, winning the match 6-1, 4-6 and 1-0 (10-7). Following Fernandez’s win, Krause was impressive at the fifth singles spot, winning easily 6-1 and 6-0. Rounding things out on the day was Kaftanova at the sixth position as she won 6-4, 6-2.
“I thought the girls responded very good on the singles side of things,” said UW head coach Dean Clower after the match. “We had a little halftime meeting there and the girls came out and jumped on them early in all of the sets. I was pretty happy with the way we responded.”
The Cowgirls are now off for over a week before returning to action to host Northern Arizona March 3 in Laramie. That match start time has yet to be determined, but will be played some time in the late afternoon.
“Before we play again we have to improve on our returns. We have to get better at returns, so for the next two weeks, that’s all we’re going to be doing,” continued Clower.
Wyoming vs. MSU Denver
2/20/2022 in Laramie, Wyo.
Wyoming 7, MSU Denver 0
1. Ida Krause/Maria Oreshkina (WYO) def. Ava Neuburger/Isabel Heras (MSU) 6-3
2. Marie Cool/Gala Castello (MSU) def. Ana Fernandez/Sophie Zehender (WYO) 6-3
3. Serina Abriola/Mihaela Kaftanova (WYO) def. Lily Stienemeier/Kayla Myburgh Retirement
1. Zehender (WYO) def. Neuburger (MSU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Oreshkina (WYO) def. Heras (MSU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Fernandez (WYO) def. Castello (MSU) 6-1, 4-6, 1-0 (10-7)
4. Lucia Malinak (WYO) def. Cool (MSU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Krause (WYO) def. Myburgh (MSU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Kaftanova (WYO) def. Monica Guarin (MSU) 6-4, 6-2
10 Of The Most Famous Wyomingites In History
- 10 Of The Most Famous Wyomingites In History