Cowgirls close season with 5-2 victory over Cal Poly in NIT Consolation
* University of Wyoming press release
PEACHTREE CITY, Ga., – The Wyoming Cowgirl team closed out their historic season in style Saturday morning in, winning 5-2 in a Universal Tennis NIT consolation match over Cal Poly.
The win gives UW its 16th of the season, which is the second-most for a single season in program history (18 in 2017).
After dropping the doubles point for the first time all week Saturday, the Cowgirls (16-11) got to work in singles play. Wyoming won 5-of-6 on the singles side of things. The Cowgirls got straight-set victories from Sophie Zehender at No. 1, 6-1 and 6-3, Violetta Borodina at No. 4, 6-3, 7-6 (8-6) and at No. 5 from Nikol Dobrilova, 7-5 and 6-2.
Noesjka Brink and Ana Fernandez also won in singles on the day, coming out on top in a pair of tough, three-setters. Brink won at the third spot, coming from behind for the 4-6, 6-1, 7-5 victory. Meanwhile, at No. 6, Fernandez won 6-0, 3-6 and 6-3.
Overall, the Cowgirls went 2-1 at the NIT in the first national postseason tournament in program history. UW’s loss came to eventual champion TCU in the semifinals.
Wyoming 5, Cal Poly 2
1. Dunkle/Dunkle (CP) def. Ana Fernandez/Sophie Zehender (WYO) 7-5
2. Violetta Borodina/Maria Oreshkina (WYO) def. Bhunhu/Buntrock (CP) 6-3
3. MacCallum/Bates (CP) def. Noesjka Brink/Nikol Dobrilova (WYO) 6-3
1. Zehender (WYO) def. LaMette (CP) 6-1, 6-3
2. Dunkle (CP) def. Oreshkina (WYO) 6-4, 7-5
3. Brink (WYO) def. Dunkle (CP) 4-6, 6-1, 7-5
4. Borodina (WYO) def. Buntrock (CP) 6-3, 7-6 (8-6)
5. Dobrilova (WYO) def. Ozerets (CP) 7-5, 6-2
6. Fernandez (WYO) def. Bates (CP) 6-0, 3-6, 6-3
From Bison to Triceratops - All of Wyoming's Official Things
- From Bison to Triceratops - All of Wyoming's Official Things