Cowgirls Win Doubles, Fall in Semifinals to TCU
* University of Wyoming press release
PEACHTREE CITY, Ga., – The Wyoming Cowgirl tennis team came up short Friday in the semifinals of the Universal Tennis NIT Championship. The Cowgirls dropped a 4-1 contest to the top-seed Horned Frogs.
Wyoming (15-11), much like it did Wednesday, got off to a strong start behind the strength of doubles play. The Cowgirls were able to win the point in dramatic fashion, behind tiebreak win from the No. 3 tandem of Noesjka Brink and Nikol Dobrilova.
The duo won 7-6 (9-7) to clinch for UW as it also got a win at the first doubles spot as Ana Fernandez and Sophie Zehender won 6-3.
In singles play, it was all TCU as the Horned Frogs stormed back to win four consecutive straight-set matches to secure the victory. Dobrilova was in the midst of her third set at No. 5 before the Horned Frogs clinched but otherwise, singles was controlled by TCU.
The Cowgirls will play a third match Saturday at the NIT. Opponent and time to be announced.
TCU 4, Wyoming 1
1. Ana Fernandez/Sophie Zehender (WYO) def. Lemaitre/Martins (TCU) 6-3
2. Otway/Aristegui (TCU) def. Violetta Borodina/Maria Oreshkina (TCU) 6-3
3. Noesjka Brink/Nikol Dobrilova (WYO) def. Narmont/Tsai (TCU) 7-6 (9-7)
1. Lemaitre (TCU) def. Zehender (WYO) 6-4, 6-0
2. Aristegui (TCU) def. Oreshkina (WYO) 6-3, 6-1
3. Otway (TCU) def. Brink (WYO) 6-1, 6-2
4. Borodina (WYO) vs. Tsai (TCU) 2-6, 3-5, unfinished
5. Dobrilova (WYO) vs. Martins (TCU) 6-3, 2-6, unfinished
6. Narmont (TCU) def. Fernandez (WYO) 6-4, 6-1
10 Of The Most Famous Wyomingites In History
- 10 Of The Most Famous Wyomingites In History