LIVE FILE: Wyoming Cowboys at Nevada Wolf Pack
RENO, Nev., -- Meaningless?
Don't tell that to these Wyoming players.
This program has a chance to win eight regular-season games. That hasn't been done since 2016. The Cowboys (7-4, 4-3) have also lost six straight away from Laramie. That's a major reason they aren't in the mix tonight for a shot at a trip to the Mountain West Championship game.
Trust me, they are well aware.
A victory tonight against lowly Nevada (2-9, 2-5) would send Craig Bohl and Co. on to the postseason with an opportunity to claim a ninth victory. The last Wyoming team to accomplish that was the 1996 squad that played in the inaugural WAC title game in Las Vegas.
Kickoff is slated for 7 p.m. Mountain Time and the game will be televised on CBS Sports Network.
Have you missed any of our coverage this week? If so, you can find it all right HERE.
You can also check out the 7220sports.com Kickoff Show right HERE.
Have you downloaded our free mobile app yet? Do that right HERE.
* Our photographer DJ Johnson will be inside Mackay Stadium in Reno. He's responsible for that beautiful shot above. I unfortunately wasn't able to make the trip this week. Mother Nature was having none of that. So, tonight we will all watch together. Hope you will follow along right here (just keep refreshing the page) or check us out on Twitter right HERE.
* Who is playing in the Mountain West title game? Despite a home loss to San Jose State this afternoon, UNLV should be in. Will they play Boise State or have a turnaround rematch against the Spartans? If it's the Broncos, that game will take place inside Allegiant Stadium. If not, the Rebels will travel to the Bay Area. We all have to wait for some insane computer system to let us know on Sunday.
* Nevada will start Brendon Lewis under center tonight. He is Nevada's leading rusher with 504 yards this season.
* Peasley comes out slinging, connects with Asante for a 16-yard gainer on the opening play.
* Drive stalls. Pokes will punt on their opening possession.
* Wyett Ekeler all over Lewis in the backfield. That's a loss of six. Ekeler has been so good off the edge this season.
* Harrison Waylee with a 14-yard run. He is running really hard early tonight. Broke a tackle, kept the legs moving. He looks healthy
* *TOUCHDOWN* Andrew Peasley pulls the handoff back and bolts right through the Nevada defense for a 43-yard touchdown. Beautiful read and execution by the super senior QB. That's his team-leading sixth rushing TD of the year. Wyoming 7 Nevada 0 6:32/ 1Q
* That was a four-play, 63-yard drive that took 2:05 off the clock. Pokes score first in Reno.
* Might want to block Gavin Meyer. He just wrecked Lewis on first down.
* Sabastian Harsh with a sack on third down. Nevada will punt. Really good coverage on the backend. No one was open. Hawaii knows all about that.
* Nevada has now allowed 36 sacks on the season. That ranks the 'Pack 114th out of 130 FBS teams. The home team has now also allowed 91 tackles for loss. That's 128th overall. Now Brendon Lewis might be injured.
* Driskill snags a quick boot and hammers a Nevada defender en route to an 11-yard gain. That's a big coal train going downhill.
* *TOUCHDOWN* How about these offensively aggressive Cowpokes. Peasley fires a 34-yard touchdown strike to a wide open Will Pelissier. That was pretty. Wyoming 14 Nevada 0 3:29/ 1Q
* Shane Illingworth now in at QB for Nevada. He hasn't played this season. He just got welcomed into this game with yet another sack by Harsh.
* Ilingworth is absolutely losing it on a coach on the sideline. Not sure what that's all about. Nevada tacks on a field goal after an impressive drive for the Wolf Pack. Wyoming 14 Nevada 3 13:28/ 2Q
* Ohhhh Pretty pitch and catch between Peasley and a sliding Alex Brown. That's good for 27. Unfortunately Nofoafia Tulafono, UW's starting center, is down on the play.
* Luke Sandy is now in at center for Tulafono
* This Wyoming defensive front is active tonight, to say the least. Wow.
* *TOUCHDOWN* WOW. Wyett Ekeler snags a terrible pass over the middle, broke a million tackles and dove into the end zone for the Pick-Six. What a play for the Pokes' free safety. Wyoming 21 Nevada 3 9:54/ 2Q
* That was an unbelievable 37-yard return for the touchdown on that Ekeler INT. The former Windsor running back would not be denied.
* Wyoming about to get hit with a penalty downfield on a 4th and short. That would've been a turnover on downs. Now the Wolf Pack are deep in UW territory. Isaac White gets the hanky.
* This defensive line is humming. Nevada's O-line barely getting in the way. No wonder they are down to their third-string QB. Back-to-back sacks for the Pokes
* White with a blindside sack. Three straight sacks and the Wolf Pack is now all the way back at the 30. My goodness.
* Talton drills a 47-yard field goal. What an impressive defensive effort so far in this one for the visitors. Wyoming 21 Nevada 6 2:23/2Q
* Good to see center Nofoafia Tulafono back on the field.
* *FUMBLE* Pokes' special teams with the big play on the opening kick of the second half. Think they are giving the forced fumble to Driskill. Wyoming in biz at the Nevada 25.
* *TOUCHDOWN* Pokes make Nevada pay for the fumble on the second-half kick return. Peasley to Ayir Asante. Nice jump ball on the outside shoulder. Wyoming 28 Nevada 6 11:43/ 3Q
* That 9-yard touchdown toss caps a brief 5-play, 25-yard drive that took 3:05 off the clock. That was the Pokes' first second-half points on the road since scoring six at Air Force.
* *TURNOVER ON DOWNS* Tyce Westland with the tackle for loss on a 4th-and-1. Boy, has he been huge late in the season. Cowboys take over at the Nevada 44. Wyoming 28 Nevada 6 10:00/ 3Q
* Another beautiful read option from Peasley, who scampers 26 yards into the red zone.
* Evan Svoboda with a five-yard run. I'm sure he's a blast to tackle, especially on a cold night like this
* *TOUCHDOWN* Harrison Waylee with a big hole and an escort into the end zone. Pokes take advantage of a fumble, turnover on downs here in the third . Wyoming 35 Nevada 6 7:09/3Q
* Wyoming has essentially forced three turnovers tonight, including on downs. Pick-six for Ekeler Asante touchdown Waylee touchdown
* Jakorey Hawkins with the near interception at the goal line. Looks like he over ran it a bit.
* Tyrecus Davis almost picks off the third-down heave in the end zone.
* *TURNOVER ON DOWNS* Nevada can't pick up a 4th-and-9. Pokes will take over deep in their own end. Wyoming 35 Nevada 6 4:15/3Q
* Peasley with a pair of really impressive passes to Wieland on this drive. Both big third-down pickups.
* Waylee slow to get up after a nice pickup.
* Peasley with another nifty run. Faked the pass and blew past a Nevada defender.
* *TOUCHDOWN* Peasley finds the end zone with his legs again. He has been great tonight on the ground and solid through the air. This was a 12-play, 82-yard drive. Pokes again take advantage of a turnover (on downs) Wyoming 42 Nevada 6 12:56/4Q
* TV keeps saying this would be the first 8-win season since 1996. Josh Allen and the Pokes went 8-6 in 2016, dropping the MW title game and the bowl game against BYU.
* Appears Even Svoboda is entering this one. Peasley caps his night 12-of-18 through the air for 165 yards and two touchdowns. He also scored twice on the ground and added 96 rushing yards on nine carries.
* Really impressive showing for the Cowpokes tonight in Reno. Game balls all around.
University of Wyoming’s Top 50 Football Players
Gallery Credit: 7220Sports.com
- University of Wyoming’s Top 50 Football Players