‘This was a disappointing loss in many ways’
BOULDER, Colo., -- It was a tough day on the courts for the Wyoming tennis team Saturday as the Cowgirls fell at Colorado, 7-0. The doubles team of Mihaela Kaftanova and Ida Krause got the lone win on the day for the Cowgirls.
Kaftanova and Krause defeated the CU tandem of Megan Forster and Maria Campos, 7-6 (7-4) at No. 3 doubles but it was not enough as the Buffaloes (4-1) secured the doubles point behind the strength of wins at the No. 1 and 2 positions.
“If there was one word to sum up today’s match, it would be immaturity,” said UW head coach Dean Clower. “On so many lines, we didn’t adapt and make adjustments. This was a disappointing loss in many ways, but we will get back to work and fix the areas where we had downfalls today.”
The Cowgirls played hard during doubles play as Ana Fernandez and Sophie Zehender suffered their first loss of the season as a duo, losing 7-5 at the No. 2 spot. At No. 1 doubles, Lucia Malinak and Maria Oreshkina fell 6-3.
On the singles side of things, Fernandez lost a couple of hard-fought tiebreakers, losing at No. 3 to Antonia Balzert of Colorado, 7-6 (7-1) and 7-6 (9-7). At the No. 1 position, Zehender fell 6-4 and 6-3 to Sara Nayar.
The Cowgirls will look to rebound next Saturday as they continue their three-match road swing. Wyoming travels to face Creighton February 20 in a 6 p.m., contest.
Wyoming at Colorado
2/13/21 at Boulder, Colo.
Colorado 7, Wyoming 0
1. Sara Nayar/Sophia Derivan (CU) def. Maria Oreshkina/Lucia Malinak (WYO) 6-3
2. Fleur Eggink/Ky Ecton (CU) def. Ana Fernandez/Sophie Zehender (WYO) 7-5
3. Ida Krause/Mihaela Kaftanova (WYO) def. Megan Forster/Mari Campos (CU) 7-6 (7-4)
1. Nayar (CU) def. Zehender (WYO) 6-4, 6-3
2. Derivan (CU) def. Oreshkina (WYO) 6-1, 6-3
3. Balzert (CU) def. Fernandez (WYO) 7-6 (7-1), 7-6 (9-7)
4. Forster (CU) def. Noesjka Brink (WYO) 6-4, 6-0
5. Eggink (CU) def. Malinak (WYO) 7-5, 6-0
6. Ecton (CU) def. Alyse Cormier (WYO) 6-2, 6-3
* University of Wyoming press release