Buchanan places eighth at NCAA Championships
St. Louis, Mo. – Stephen Buchanan capped off his incredible season and NCAA Tournament run with an eighth place finish Sunday morning inside the Enterprise center in St. Louis, Mo.
Buchanan ends his season with a record of 14-6.
"All-American Stephen Buchanan has a nice ring to it," Wyoming head coach Mark Branch tweeted.
In the seventh-place match, Buchanan battled No. 15 Michael Beard (PSU). After falling behind early 4-0, Buchanan got his offense recording a pair of takedowns to trail 7-6 after two periods. Buchanan trailed 8-6 for a majority of the third period before scoring a takedown at the buzzer to send the match to overtime.
In sudden victory, Beard’s offense was too much for Buchanan and he conceded the match winning takedown.
Buchanan’s All-American finish highlights a record setting post season for the Cowboys which included four Big 12 runner-ups, a school record 105.5 team points at the Big 12 Championships and a program-record tying 7 NCAA Qualifiers.
Saturday night, Buchanan became the 36th All-American wrestler in UW history. Here are the ones who came before him:
* Herb Karcher - 1959 - 4th place
* Dave Hansen - 1960 - 3rd place
* Allen Frude - 1966 - 5th place
* Don Miller - 1967 - 6th place
* Ray Sanchez - 1967 - 4th place
* Dan Silbaugh - 1970 - 6th place
* Steven Suder - 1979 - 8th place
* Wes Gasner - 1983 - 6th place
* Joe DeCamillis - 1988 - 8th place
* Craig Walters - 1988 - 4th place
* Dave Myers - 1992 - 8th place
* Brandon Alderman - 1996 - 6th place
* Brent Voorhees - 1996 - 7th place
* Shane Onufer - 2011 - 5th place
* Tyler Cox - 2013 - 8th place
* Montorie Bridges - 2018 - 8th place
* Joe LeBlanc - 2009-12 - 5,4,6,7th place
* Dick Ballinger - 1958-60 - 2,4,1st place (National Champion)
* Reese Andy - 1994-96 - 2,6,2nd place
* Bryce Meredith - 2016-18 - 2,4,2nd place
* Bob Mason - 1950-51 - 4,4th place
* Jerry Frude - 1959-60 - 2,2nd place
* Alfonso Hernandez - 2012-13 - 6,7th place
Day Three Results
197 - Stephen Buchanan
Seventh Place Match – No. 15 Michael Beard (PSU) Dec. No. 8 Buchanan (WYO) 10-8 (SV-1)
* University of Wyoming press release contributed to this report
KEEP READING: What were the most popular baby names from the past 100 years?