Cowgirl Tennis Hangs on to Beat Nevada
* University of Wyoming press release
FORT COLLINS, Colo., -- The No. 73 ranked Wyoming Cowgirl tennis team made it four straight wins Saturday as they hung on for a 4-3 victory over Nevada in a neutral-site contest hosted by Colorado State.
The Cowgirls (8-8, 3-0 MW) clinched the win with a thrilling three-set victory from Sophie Zehender at the No. 1 singles position. For the second consecutive match, Wyoming won via a third-set tiebreak victory as Zehender won 7-5, 6-7 (6-8) and 7-6 (8-6).
Violetta Borodina and Maria Oreshkina at No. 4 and No. 2, respectively also picked up singles wins for the Cowgirls.
Borodina was victorious in straight sets, 6-2 and 6-2 while Oreshkina also nabbed a three-set win for UW as she won 7-5, 5-7 and 6-1. The wins from those two helped the Cowgirls jump out to a 3-1 advantage in the match after opening the contest with the doubles point. The Wolf Pack responded to win at No. 3 and No. 5 to knot up the match at 3-3 before Zehender’s clinch.
UW got wins at the second and third doubles positions Saturday to clinch the Doubles Point. Borodina and Oreshkina won their eighth-straight contest as a duo with a 6-3 win at the No. 2 spot. Meanwhile, at No. 3, Noesjka Brink and Nikol Dobrilova clinched the point for Wyoming with a 6-4 win.
“We fought hard today,” said assistant coach Julie Gonzalez after the match. “It was a battle against a well-coached team. Now, we recover and go back to work tomorrow. A big shoutout goes to all of our fans who traveled down to support the team. We truly are One Wyoming.”
The Cowgirls now shift their focus to Sunday’s match against San Jose State at 11 a.m., once again played in Fort Collins.
Wyoming vs. Nevada
4/1/2023 in Fort Collins, Colo.
#73 Wyoming 4, Nevada 3
1. Sophie Zehender (WYO) def. Charrier (UNR) 7-5, 6-7 (6-8), 7-6 (8-6)
2. Maria Oreshkina (WYO) def. Luneva (UNR) 7-5, 5-7, 6-1
3. Guerbert (UNR) def. Noesjka Brink (WYO) 6-2, 6-7 (6-8), 7-5
4. Violetta Borodina (WYO) def. Boubaker (UNR) 6-2, 6-2
5. Campino (UNR) def. Nikol Dobrilova (WYO) 7-6 (7-4), 2-6, 6-4
6. Moutama (UNR) def. Ana Fernandez (WYO) 7-5, 6-3
1. Fernandez/Zehender (WYO) vs. Guerbert/Luneva (UNR) 5-4, unfinished
2. Borodina/Oreshkina (WYO) def. Charrier/Moutama (UNR) 6-3
3. Brink/Dobrilova (WYO) def. Campino/Charalampidi (UNR) 6-4
10 Of The Most Famous Wyomingites In History
- 10 Of The Most Famous Wyomingites In History