Cowgirl tennis opens spring play with hard-fought loss
* University of Wyoming Athletics media relations release
TULSA, Okla., -- The Wyoming tennis team stumbled out of the gate to begin spring play, dropping a hard-fought neutral site contest to Louisiana Tech, 4-3 in Tulsa, Okla.
Although the Cowgirls (1-1) won three of the six singles’ matches, LTU (1-0) won the match behind the strength of winning the doubles’ point. Noesjka Brink and Mihaela Kaftanova won the lone doubles contest for the Cowgirls, defeating Bienzobas and Romero, 6-2.
On the singles’ side of things, the Cowgirls got wins at the Nos. 2, 3 and six positions. Ida Krause defeated Bienzobas at the second spot, winning a tough first set 7-5, before cruising to a 6-0 win in set two.
At No. 3, it was Brink picking up the victory for UW as she defeated the Bulldogs’ Ana Rodrigues in a tough three-setter, 6-2, 6-7 and 6-4. Kaftanova rounded-out the singles wins for the Cowgirls on the day, defeating Romero 6-1 and 7-6.
The Cowgirls also played their singles portion of the match with Montana State in the afternoon. Against the Bobcats, Maria Oreshkina won at the No. 1 singles spot while Brink took another win at the No. 3 position. UW and Montana State will officially close the match Sunday morning.
Wyoming closes the three-match Hurricane Invite at 9 a.m., Mountain Time against host-Tulsa.
Wyoming vs. Louisiana Tech
1/15/22 at the Hurricane Invite in Tulsa, Okla.
Louisiana Tech 4, Wyoming 3
1. Rodrigues/Schuknecht (LTU) def. Maria Oreshkina/Ida Krause (WYO) 6-4
2. Tetruashvili/Dawson (LTU) def. Ana Fernandez/Lucia Malinak (WYO) 6-2
3. Noesjka Brink/Mihaela Kaftanova (WYO) def. Bienzobas/Romero (LTU) 6-2
1. Schuknecht (LTU) def. Oreshkina (WYO) 6-2, 6-2
2. Krause (WYO) def. Bienzobas (LTU) 7-5, 6-0
3. Brink (WYO) def. Rodrigues (LTU) 6-2, 6-7, 6-4
4. Dawson (LTU) def. Fernandez (WYO) 6-4, 6-3
5. Tetruashvili (LTU) def. Alyse Cormier (WYO) 6-2, 6-3
6. Kaftanova (WYO) def. Romero (LTU) 6-1, 7-6
30 Wyoming Attractions To Visit
- 30 Wyoming Attractions To Visit