Cowgirls are Outright Mountain West Champions
* University of Wyoming press release
FORT COLLINS, Colo., -- One day after clinching their first Mountain West title in program history, the Wyoming Cowgirl tennis team left no doubt Saturday afternoon, clinching the outright conference crown with a convincing 4-0 win over New Mexico in Fort Collins.
“I feel so much pride right now,” said Head Coach Dean Clower after the match. “I have so much pride in the girls and the culture of our program and how long it has taken to get here and the perseverance. I’m just proud, I’m proud of the staff and the team. Big thanks to my wife and kids for dealing with me for the last 12 years and dealing with me demanding we get this trophy.”
Wyoming (14-9, 9-1 MW), which closed the season winning 10-of-11 matches overall, got out to a fast start in Saturday’s match.
The Cowgirls made quick work of the Lobos in doubles play, winning 6-1 and 6-1 at No. 2 and No. 3. The teams of Violetta Borodina and Maria Oreshkina, at No. 2 and Noesjka Brink and Nikol Dobriloa at No. 3, picked up the victories.
In singles play, the Cowgirls got off to a slower start, losing the first set in two of the matches. However, both Sophie Zehender (No. 1) and Oreshkina (No. 2) responded strongly, to pick up wins.
Borodina won quickly at the third singles spot, winning 6-2 and 6-3. Oreshkina bounced back to win her matchup 4-6, 6-2 and 6-3 while Zehender clinched the victory for the second consecutive day for the Cowgirls, winning 5-7, 6-2 and 6-0.
The Cowgirls now look to double-dip on conference titles this season as they begin play next week at the Mountain West Tennis Championships in Las Vegas. The top-seeded Cowgirls will play at 11 a.m., Mountain Time Thursday against the winner of 8-9 matchup.
Wyoming 4, New Mexico 0
1. Ana Fernandez/Sophie Zehender (WYO) vs. Jhang/Hoppe (UNM) 4-2, unfinished
2. Violetta Borodina/Maria Oreshkina (WYO) def. Vandeputte/Huang (UNM) 6-1
3. Noesjka Brink/Nikol Dobrilova (WYO) def. O’Connor/Sodre (UNM) 6-1
1. Zehender (WYO) def. O’Connor (UNM) 5-7, 6-2, 6-0
2. Oreshkina (WYO) def. Jhang (UNM) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
3. Borodina (WYO) def. Vandeputte (UNM) 6-2, 6-3
4. Brink (WYO) vs. Hoppe (UNM) 6-3, unfinished
5. Dobrilova (WYO) vs. Huang (UNM) 0-2, unfinished
6. Fernandez (WYO) vs. Sodre (UNM) didn’t start
10 Reasons Why You're Lucky to Be Living in Wyoming
- 10 Reasons Why You're Lucky to Be Living in Wyoming,