Cowgirls Take Care of San Jose State, 4-2
* University of Wyoming press release
FORT COLLINS, Colo., -- The Wyoming Cowgirl tennis team made it another 2-0 weekend and has opened Mountain West play with a perfect 4-0 mark.
Wyoming, who defeated San Jose State, 4-2 Sunday in Fort Collins, has now won five consecutive matches overall. The 4-0 start to begin league play is the best start for the Cowgirls since 2017, when they went 5-0 for the entire conference season.
“I thought as a team, we are getting better and better,” said Head Coach Dean Clower. “We will get some much-needed rest this week and be ready for a much-awaited weekend of home matches this weekend. A big thank you to our fans, that once against came down and supported us this weekend.”
UW (9-8, 4-0 MW) was once again solid in doubles play Sunday, winning the point behind the strength of victories at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles. The team of Violetta Borodina and Maria Oreshkina won their ninth-straight match as a tandem Sunday, picking up a 6-3 win at the No. 2 spot. At No. 3, it was Noesjka Brink and Nikol Dobrilova who also earned a 6-3 win.
In singles play, the Cowgirls clinched the match by picking up a trio of singles victories. Zehender won 7-5, 6-2 at the No. 1 spot as she closed a solid weekend. Wyoming also got wins at the No. 4 and 5 spots from Brink and Dobrilova, respectively. Brink won her match 6-3 and 6-3 while Dobrilova was victorious in three sets, 6-3, 2-6 and 6-1.
“Today was about adapting to circumstances and being tough,” said Oreshkina post-match. “We didn’t play our best tennis, but the Cowgirl Way isn’t about always playing the best tennis, it is about showing heart and fighting on days when we are not feeling it or playing the best. Our team is close, and we will fight for each other until the end.”
Wyoming will look to win its fifth and sixth matches to begin MW play next weekend in Laramie as UNLV and San Diego State come to town April 7 and 8, respectively. Both matches are slated to start at 10 a.m., at the Laramie Tennis Complex.
Wyoming vs. San Jose State
4/2/2023 in Fort Collins, Colo.
Wyoming 4, San Jose State 2
1. Ana Fernandez/Sophie Zehender (WYO) vs. Galindo/Millan (SJSU) 4-4, unfinished
2. Violetta Borodina/Maria Oreshkina (WYO) def. Muradyan/Youseva (SJSU) 6-3
3. Noesjka Brink/Nikol Dobrilova (WYO) def. Babic/Marco Mas (SJSU) 6-3
1. Zehender (WYO) def. Galindo (SJSU) 7-5, 6-2
2. Millan (SJSU) def. Oreshkina (WYO) 6-4, 6-1
3. Muradyan (SJSU) def. Borodina (WYO) 6-1, 7-5
4. Brink (WYO) def. Youseva (SJSU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Dobrilova (WYO) def. Pereira (SJSU) 6-3, 2-6, 6-1
6. Fernandez (WYO) vs. Babic (SJSU) 4-6, 6-3, 0-1, unfinished
15 Questions You Should Never Ask Someone From Wyoming
- 15 Questions You Should Never Ask Someone From Wyoming