Cowgirls win fifth straight, sweep Aztecs
FORT COLLINS, Colo. – The Wyoming tennis team made it another 2-0 weekend and ran its winning streak to five consecutive matches, behind the strength of a quick 4-0 victory Sunday afternoon over San Diego State down in Fort Collins, Colo.
“It was a great weekend for the team,” UW head coach Dean Clower said following the victory. “I think we grew up a lot this weekend and learned to adapt to certain situations and what it takes to play at an elite level. I feel like the freshmen are getting better each match, when it comes to playing our style of tennis. Doubles has come a long way since our first math back in January and is crucial for our team. Doubles helped us tremendously this weekend.”
Once again, the Cowgirls (11-6, 5-2 MW) got off to a good start, thanks to winning 2-of-3 doubles matches and earning the doubles point against the Aztecs.
UW got victories again from the No. 2 and 3 doubles positions as the duo of Ana Fernandez and Sophie Zehender were victorious at the second spot, 6-2. At No. 3, Mihaela Kaftanova and Ida Krause also won by a score of 6-2.
On the singles’ side of play, the match featured just three matchups get finished before the Cowgirls clinched the win. Fernandez was able to win in a hard-fought contest at the No. 3 singles spot as she defeated SDSU’s Cecile Morin in a tough three-setter, 6-4, 1-6 and 6-2.
Noesjka Brink and Lucia Malinak also got victories Sunday at No. 4 and 5, respectively. Brink won her match 6-3 and 6-3 over Alicia Melosch while Malinak was victorious in straight sets, 6-0 and 6-2 as she won her fifth consecutive singles match.
Wyoming was in battles in the other three singles matches against the Aztecs at No.’s 1, 2 and 6. Both Maria Oreshkina and Zehender were in the middle of third sets of their matches before the Cowgirls clinched.
The Cowgirls have just two regular-season matches left in 2021, as UW will travel to Utah State next weekend to close its Mountain West slate with matches against Boise State, April 24 and against the Aggies April 25.
Wyoming vs. San Diego State
4/18/21 at Fort Collins, Colo.
Wyoming 4, San Diego State 0
1. Alicia Melosch/Nnena Nadozie (SDSU) def. Brink/Oreshkina (WYO) 6-1
2. Ana Fernandez/Sophie Zehender (WYO) def. Regina Pitts/Cecile Morin (SDSU) 6-2
3. Mihaela Kaftanova/Ida Krause (WYO) def. Abbie Mulbarger/Alex Pohrer (SDSU) 6-2
1. Oreshkina (WYO) vs. Pitts (SDSU) 6-2, 4-6, 4-1 unfinished
2. Zehender (WYO) vs. Nadozie (SDSU) 2-6, 6-2, 2-2 unfinished
3. Fernandez (WYO) vs. Morin (SDSU) 6-4, 1-6, 6-2
4. Brink (WYO) def. Melosch (SDSU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Malinak (WYO) def. Pohrer (SDSU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Kaftanova vs. Augustina Rimoldi (SDSU) 5-7, 3-3 unfinished
* University of Wyoming press release