Gear Up For Game Day: Appalachian State
LARAMIE -- As always, I love to utilize this space each week during the season to not only give you the important info -- game time, TV channel, betting lines, etc. -- but also drop a bit of randomness on your plate.
Wyoming and Appalachian State have only met twice on the football field.
Joe Glenn's Cowboys rolled to an easy 53-7 victory back in 2004. That was Corey Bramlet's first-career start. He threw for 239 yards and a pair of touchdowns in the rout. Joseph Harris led UW with 82 yards on the ground. He also added two scores as the Pokes' halftime lead swelled to 41-0 at the half.
That game, like Wyoming's 2023 opener against Texas Tech, was delayed by lightning. It was a 33-minute delay.
The Mountaineers were an 1-AA program in those days.
That changed in 2014. A year later, these two met again, this time in Boone, N.C.
On a rain-soaked afternoon inside Kidd Brewer Stadium, running back Brian Hill rushed for 208 yards and a touchdown.
That was the good news.
App State's Marcus Cox busted a 59-yard touchdown run on the first play from scrimmage and the home team rolled to a 31-13 win. It was the program's first non-conference home victory over an FBS opponent.
Wyoming was in Year 2 of the Craig Bohl era. You might recall that was an unforgettable 2-10 campaign, featuring wins over Nevada and UNLV.
* Remember the big deal Texas Tech made about playing at elevation? App State head coach Shawn Clark isn't worried about that. Wyoming's football team poses enough issues. Boone sits at 3,333 feet above sea level. Lubbock, 3,202.
* I like to think we know about real country music in these parts. Emphasis on "real." Chris LeDoux is Wyoming royalty. He not only was an amazing musician, he lived the life. He was the real deal. Then there are guys who have likely never even been on a horse in their lives. They sing it but don't live it. Like Luke Combs for instance. Or Eric Church. Those guys went to school at ... you guessed it, App State.
* LeDoux's sons, Ned and Will, joined us this week as guest pickers. Big thanks to them. You can check that out right HERE. Count Ned as another Wyoming country legend. No "Bro-Country" in sight. Check out some of his tunes right HERE.
* There are a few other famous alums of App State: Charlotte Flair (wrestler, daughter of Ric Flair), Franklin Graham (evangelist, son of Billy Graham) and Daniel Jeremiah from the NFL Network.
* App State has only played three Mountain West opponents in its history. Boise State and Hawaii both knocked off the Mountaineers. Wyoming is 1-1.
Here is all you need to know -- and the links -- for Saturday's tilt in Laramie:
WHO: Appalachian State (2-1) at Wyoming (2-1)
WHEN: Saturday, Sept. 23 at 5:00 p.m. MST
WEATHER: High of 64, low 33, sunny, winds at 26 mph
WHERE: War Memorial Stadium, Laramie, Wyo. (29,181 capacity)
STREAMING: CBS Sports Network
TELEVISION: CBS Sports Network
RADIO: Cowboy Sports Network
TICKETS: Wyoming Ticket office
BOX SCORE: ESPN
ROSTERS: Wyoming / App State
HISTORY: Series tied at 1-1
BETTING ODDS: Wyoming -3, O/U: 43
HEAD COACHES: Craig Bohl / Shawn Clark
MORE UW FOOTBALL NEWS VIA 7220SPORTS:
University of Wyoming’s Top 50 Football Players
- University of Wyoming’s Top 50 Football Players