Cowgirls Selected to Play in Universal Tennis NIT Championship
* University of Wyoming press release
PALO ALTO, Calif., -- For the first time in program history, the Wyoming Cowgirl tennis squad will be playing in a postseason national tournament. The Cowgirls were selected to play in the first-ever Universal Tennis NIT.
The tournament, which is held in Atlanta, will run from May 17-20 and is hosted by the world-renowned tennis association, Universal Tennis. The Cowgirls join Air Force, UC Northridge, Colorado, Iowa, TCU, Stetson and Vanderbilt in the eight-team tournament. Draws for the event will be announced Monday, May 8.
Teams are guaranteed a minimum of two matches at the tournament and all matches will be streamed live on Amazon Prime Video.
The announcement of the NIT Championship followed the launch of the Universal Tennis Collegiate Alliance, which was created to support the future of all college programs in the United States. The UTCA Executive Committee unanimously voted to launch the NIT Championship.
Wyoming is coming off a 14-10 season overall and the first regular-season Mountain West title in program history. The Cowgirls have won 10-of-12 matches entering the tournament.
MORE UW ATHLETICS NEWS VIA 7220SPORTS:
* Washington Commanders release former UW standout
* Throwback Thursday: The two that got away
* Wyoming snags former 4-star QB Caron May
* PODCAST: Thought from Thorburn on UW football, men's hoops
* Linder on NIL: 'That's the elephant in the room'
* Wyoming's Jeff Linder moving on from mistakes, rebuilding program
* Wyoming officially announces eight basketball signings
10 Reasons Why You're Lucky to Be Living in Wyoming
- 10 Reasons Why You're Lucky to Be Living in Wyoming,